Let’s face it. Winter can suck. Trekking through snow in the city or digging out cars in the ‘burbs. Dark when you leave for work and dark when you come home. Good food (and good whiskey) seems to be the only chance you stand against that bastard Jack Frost and his icy grip. Personally, I’m partial to a very, very spicy chili or an easy slow cooker meal that sticks to your ribs. After bumping into New York’s own Mike Kurtz at a recent American Field event, I believe I’ve found a nice bridge between my two cold weather comfort foods.
For some background, Kurtz is the man behind Mike’s Hot Honey, a chili pepper-infused, addiction-causing condiment that pairs perfectly with everything from chicken to salad, to cheeses or tea, and especially with pizza. Mike gained inspiration for his product after living in Brazil, and honed it to perfection while producing small batches for friends and family. Mike’s Hot Honey started to gain more exposure once paired with Paulie Gee’s equally impressive Brooklyn-based pizzeria, and much to foodies’ delights, can now be bought in shops across the nation. Regardless of where you buy it, Kurtz continues to source his wildflower honey from beekeepers at local NY apiaries.
Back to the grub: by pairing Mike’s Hot Honey with this delicious recipe for slow cooker chicken from DamnDelicious, you are left with a massive meal that is savory, sweet and still brings the heat with every bite. Best of all, making this dish is absurdly easy, so even if your frostbitten hands are raised towards the weather gods in anger, you can still find the energy to prep and pop in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Mike’s Hot Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies Recipe by Damn Delicious
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Can also be done with boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces baby redpotatoes, halved
- 16 ounces baby carrots
- 16 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup MIKE’S HOT HONEY
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Original recipe calls for ¼ teaspoon but come on, remember how cold it is outside? Double it.
- In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, Mike’s Hot Honey, ketchup, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and pepper.
- Place chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots and soy sauce mixture into a 6-qt slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, basting every hour. Add green beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- OPTIONAL: Preheat oven to broil. Place chicken thighs onto a baking sheet, skin side up, and broil until crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chicken immediately with potatoes, carrots and green beans, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Four steps. That’s it. Three if you don’t want to broil your chicken thighs. Now stop shivering and get cooking!
BONUS TIP: A spoonful of Mike’s Hot Honey in a mug of sleepy time tea (don’t judge) before hitting the hay is a treat not to be missed